Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Giving Thanks

This Thanksgiving was monumental.

Our first year on our own.

My first turkey.

We were sad to not be with our family (especially, two brand new babies--one born to my sister and one to Blake's sister), but I decided to focus on making the meal epic as consolation.

And because an epic meal just sounds fun, doesn't it?

I knew this day would one day come, so I've been looking up on turkey recipes for years.  I decided that brining was the way to go.


So, I made this brine morning before.


While I was at it, I baked up my first pecan pie, as well.  Yum!


And this was the very technical and professional style with which we brined that turkey.

I was a little nervous the bag would pop in the night and leave my fridge in disastrous condition, but it looked just like this the next morning.

But, before I could tend to it, we headed off for the turkey trot!

I forgot to edit these photos before uploading them and I've yet to be able to get blogger to upload edited photos once it has uploaded the originals--anyone else know how?


So, if you look closely, you'll see Bryce in a grey t-shirt running next to his friend in an orange t-shirt near the back of the pack here in the 1-miler.  Yes, they are in t-shirts.  We had perfect running weather on Thanksgiving morning.

A couple years ago, they had subzero temps and snow causing several people to back out.  So grateful for this year's weather!


Blake and I, pre-race.  Game on.


Kayli just before the finish line for the mile run.


Bryce and his buddy just before the finish line.


Amazing how proud/excited/happy these ribbons made them.

And then it was time for the 5K.  A huge thanks to our friend Jon for keeping an eye on Kayli and Bryce while we ran.

Blake made this mistake of boxing me in right at the starting line.  He claims this was an accident.  He found out what happens when you box me in.


I took this picture of Blake coming up on the finish line.

Yeah, you do the math.


The Ropers who Ran.  Blake is smiling through the shame of being "wifed".

Back to the food!

We went home and the oven and I got busy.


I made this.  It's a banana cream pie.  I piped on that whipped cream.  I know it's a tad crazy looking.  It's like little Kremlins all over.  I need a wider piping tip.

Next year....

No alterations needed for the turkey next year though:


Isn't she purty?!


The kids folded the napkins, with only a small amount of help from me.


We only invited one friend over (so I wouldn't get too stressed out) and we really simplified.  I made the turkey, the green beans (w/butter, garlic, and almonds because I think green bean casserole sort of ruins the beans), the cranberry sauce, and the strawberry jam.  My good buddy Joe helped me with just about everything else.

And I almost forgot the jell-o.  It didn't make it into the picture.  But, it did make it to the table.  And was devoured for the culinary masterpiece it wasn't.

Make sense of that one.


Our small gathering.  Trey was napping and we thought it best to leave him be.


Lanaya was super excited until she found out she didn't get to eat any of it.

And then it was time for Blake to redeem his pride.  Bowling Time!

Some good friends joined us to make it extra fun.


This little guy might be Lanaya's boyfriend some day.


We were trying to determine who had the chubbier cheeks.  I think they're pretty close, don't you?


Love Blake's skills.


This photo just makes me laugh.  What are they doing?

Blake totally redeemed himself, by the way.  He scored 171 (I think!).  By far the high of everyone there.  I have to share that I got my highest score for the past 10 years or so--101!

So, it was a good night for everyone.


And Lanaya showed off her own skills that night by sitting up.


For a couple minutes before slowly tipping forward.  Ummm...Mom?  Is this supposed to happen?

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Fun! And I do beans the way you described too because I think green bean casserole sort of ruin an appetite :0)